Soon to be added here will be a preliminary draft diagram of the vision we at The Last Stronghold have for the future development of a housing and training facility for the homeless of Perth.
To all those who have read this, and to those who read and want to help we thank you all from our heart.
Our aim is to obtain the funds in order to purchase the land and build this exciting new facility. It will eventually house homeless people and have facilities to educate and train people giving them that light at the end of the tunnel which makes life worth while.
This vision may sound easy, and for all intense and purposes it is. We can put men on the moon, so with a little help from everyone pulling together we can also achieve this goal.
The statistics to date are:
(The following information is extracted from the 2001 Population Census data)
- 99,900 homeless people in Australia
- 54% are adults over 24yrs of age
- 10% are under the age of 10
- 36% are young people aged between 12 and 24yrs of age
- 42% are female
- 58% are single
- 19% are couples
- 23% are families
The following information relates only to Support Accommodation Assistance Programme clients (2002-2003 data)
- 42% Male
- 58% Female
- 18% Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- 14% People from non-English speaking backgrounds
- 30 yrs old: average age of female clients
- 33 yrs old: average age of male clients